About The Department
The department of Microbiology was started in the year 2016 with objectives of promoting quality and values based education by motivating the practical skills of students and create awareness on the recent advances in Microbiology and research fields worldwide. The department offers core subjects on the general microbiology, microbial diversity, agricultural microbiology, environmental microbiology, industrial microbiology, food microbiology, immunology, medical microbiology, microbial genetics, fermentation technology and plant pathology.
The department of Microbiology comprises of the Microbiology Lab, Immunology Lab, Biotechnology Lab, Biochemistry techniques lab and fermentor room. The thrust areas of research are the use of molecular methods in diagnosis and drug resistance in bacterial, fungal, viral, and parasitic infections and the use of Nanotechnology in the field of antimicrobials. The students of the Microbiology Department are a vibrant group, enthusiastically organizing and participating in various activities of the Department such as Annual Sports Day, Monthly Journal Club, Monthly Work presentations, and Field Trips.
Head of the Department
Dr. S. GANESH KUMAR, M.Sc., M.Phil., Ph.D., Postdoc.,
Associate Professor & Head
Department of Microbiology
Members of Board of Studies
|1||Dr.S.GaneshKumar||Associate Professor & Head, SPIHER||Chairman|
|2||Mrs. A. Nelofer||Assistant professor, SPIHER||Internal Member|
|3||Mrs. M. Dhivya||Assistant professor, SPIHER||Internal Member|
|4||Dr. D. Saravanan||Assistant professor, Department of Biochemistry|
D.G. vaishnav College, Arumbakkam, Chennai-600106
|5||Dr.S.Anandakumar||Director, Yukai Care Solution LLP, Perambur, Chennai-600011||External Member|
B.Sc. – Microbiology
Curriculam and Syllabus
M.Sc. – Microbiology
Curriculam and Syllabus
Vision & Mission
VisionTo emerge as a dynamic centre of excellence in Microbiology and to flourish in both national and international scene.
- To conduct high quality research in Microbiology
- To effectively transform our theoretical knowledge and practical skills in Microbiology to the industry and to the common public.
- To impart technical skills with integrity and ethical standards in students.
PROGRAMME EDUCATIONAL OBJECTIVES:-
|I||PEO 1||Ability to apply knowledge of microbial, science and technology|
|II||PEO 2||Ability to communicate effectively with microbiology, other professionals and community at large. The ability to explain the impact of engineering solutions in societal, cultural, global and environmental context.|
|III||PEO 3||Contribute towards technological development through academic research and industrial practices.|
|IV||PEO 4||To produce research oriented microbiological graduates who will be employable in academic/Industry sponsored research and also who will be pursuing higher studies.|
|V||PEO 5||Ability to get employment in microbiology and related industry and also to set up an industry.|
- Graduates of the course will have strong background in the interface of modern biology and skill based courses and be able to use these tools in business/industry and/or institutes wherever necessary.
- Graduates will identify, formulate, research literature, and analyze complex science problems reaching substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural science, and applied sciences.
- Graduates will demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the science and management principles and apply these to one's own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in multidisciplinary environments.
- Graduates of the course will have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and life-long learning in the broadest context of technological change.
- Graduates of the course will function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings.
- Graduates of the course will communicate effectively on complex science activities with the science community and with the society at large.
- Graduates of the course will apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the engineering and technology practice.
- Graduates of the course will design solutions for complex science problems and design system components or processes that meet the specified needs with appropriate consideration for public health and safety, and cultural, societal, and environmental considerations.
Program Specific Outcome (PSO)To enable the student to emerge as:
- PSO 1: An expert in Microbiology subjects knowledge
- PSO 2: An expert in Microbiology practical skills.
- PSO 3: Efficient researcher using microbial practical skills.
- PSO 4: Development of own entrepreneur skills in microbial technology and industry
- PSO 5: Well versed in the field of various microbiological fields (medicine, agricultural, environmental, plants and animal).