About The Department
The department of Information Technology was started in the year 1997 -1998 with B.Tech degree and M.Tech degree Course in the year 2007 – 08 and also offers Ph.d. Research Programme. The Department has produced several university ranks.
The Department of information Technology is fully equipped with the state of the art laboratories having the latest HP Servers and Nodes. The Department is having all the latest licensed Software and having Microsoft Campus Agreement for Campus Licenses.
Our department faculty members are dedicated and experienced in the areas like Network Security, Big Data Analytics, Cloud Computing, Data Mining, Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning etc. Our students are encouraged to participate in various activities like Paper Presentation, Technical Quiz, Hackathon, Sports and Cultural Activities. Many of our students are placed in leading IT Companies like IBM, HP, Infosys, WIPRO, TCS and CTS.
1 Gbps Internet Connectivity is provided by MHRD under NMEICT programme through BSNL and NKN for the students and faculty members. Wi Fi facility is available for the faculty and students in our campus. The department of Information Technology has well equipped with modern laboratories with systems of latest configuration. The software for handling the laboratories are properly licensed and extensive laboratory facilities for practical subjects including C, C++, Java, Python, Data Structures, Operating Systems, DMBS, Computer Networks, Compiler Design, Web Technology, Case Tools, Mobile Computing, Service Oriented Architecture, Grid and Cloud Computing, Security etc are available.
Head of the Department
Prof & Head, Department of Information Technology,
St. Peter’s Institute of Higher Education and Research,
Avadi, Chennai, Tamilnadu, India
B.Tech. – Information Technology (Cyber Security Co-Branded Programs with K7 Academy)
Eligibility: Pass in the Higher Secondary Examination with Mathematics, Physics & Chemistry as main subject of study.
Engineering plays an important role especially the information technology field plays a vital role in the execution of day to day to life to advanced research project for the human welfare. Our department deals with basic engineering subjects then advanced subjects in IT like data mining , cloud computing for the benefit of students. Student after acquisition of Information Technology knowledge from this programme lands up in wide choice of pursuing higher studies in India and abroad (or) opting out for employment. Certification courses are conducted for the students during the programme to make them industry ready. </p.
M.Tech. – Information Technology
Department offers PG programme in information technology for the academic uplift of UG students in engineering which paves the way for acquiring knowledge in depth. Candidate with higher academic qualification will be given preference for technical skills and getting more insight into the subjects which is already familiar learnt at the bachelor level. Completion of this programme envisages better prospects of higher studies in India and abroad in addition to offer of employment to students of their choice in this field.
Ph.D. – Information Technology
This department is in possession of faculties with Doctoral degrees and staff with adequate subject knowledge to impart right directions in the field of research oriented topics and project work. Department is in the process of attracting more students by way of conducting National and International seminars and publication of research works in reputed journals to highlight uniqueness . Our Department has signed MoUs with industries and institutions to promote collaborative research and consultancies.
Red Hat Enterprise Linux - CORE SYSTEM ADMINISTRATION (45 Hours)
- To provide a curriculum to help students keep pace with the demands of industry.
- To learn rather than theoretical skills, students learn practical skills based on use cases from thousands of implementations.
- To close the technology skills gap between the software industry and the academic institutions.
KAIZEN ROBOTICS PROGRAM (40 Hours)
- To provide students a steep learning curve in the field of Robotics.
- To learn the basics of Embedded Systems in the design of Robots.
- To make students ready for Nationwide Robotics and Hackathon competitions.
MICROSOFT TECHNOLOGY ASSOCIATE (30 Hours)
- To gain knowledge in the latest Microsoft framed Courses
- To provide an opportunity to learn one of the Advanced Platform widely used.
- To apply knowledge gained in the programming in various industrial critical applications
- To make the students Industry Ready.
|Seminar hall with ICT facility||1|
|Internet facility for Students , faculty and scholars||1 Gbps Bandwidth available includes Wi Fi|
Digital Library facility :
- DELNET - accessing the Back Volumes
- NDL - accessing all the subject related books
- NPTEL Lectures - Engineering subjects video lectures
- Webinars - Online web Seminars
- IEEE Transactions - accessing IEEE transactions
- Computer Practice Lab
- Data Structures Lab
- Operating Systems Lab
- DBMS Lab
- Software Engineering Lab
- Networks Lab
- CASE Tools Lab
- Computer Graphics Lab
- Grid and Cloud Lab
- Security Lab
IT department has signed MOU’S with the following companies
- A memorandum of understanding was signed on 17-07-19 between St. Peter’s Institute of Higher Education and Research and Lema Labs Technologies Pvt. Ltd., located at 1st Floor, IIT Madras Research Park, #1, Kanagam Road, Taramani, Chennai-600113 for Robotics training Program for the Departments of IT/CSE/ECE/EEE as part of industry – institute collaboration
- A memorandum of understanding was signed on 25-03-19 between St. Peter’s Institute of Higher Education and Research and Tata Consultancy Services Ltd., located at TCS House, Raveline Street, Fort, Mumbai-400 001 for offering TCSiON elective courses for the Departments of IT/CSE/ECE/EEE as part of industry – institute collaboration
- A memorandum of understanding was signed on 21-03-18 between St. Peter’s Institute of Higher Education and Research and Red Hat India Pvt. Ltd., located at A-201, Supreme Business Park, Hiranandani Gardens, Powai, Mumbai-400 076 for accessing approved Red Hat Academy courses for the Departments of IT/CSE/ECE/EEE as part of industry – institute collaboration
- A memorandum of understanding was signed on 31-10-15 between St. Peter’s Institute of Higher Education and Research and MACS Academy, located at Chennai-100 for training Program for the Departments of IT/CSE as part of industry – institute collaboration
- A memorandum of understanding was signed on 28-10-15 between St. Peter’s Institute of Higher Education and Research and Aadityaa Infomedia Solutions Pvt. Ltd., located at 77/2, Habibullah Road, T. Nagar, Chennai for training Program for the Departments of IT/CSE as part of industry – institute collaboration
- A memorandum of understanding was signed on 25-10-15 between St. Peter’s Institute of Higher Education and Research and Firstsoft Technologies Pvt. Ltd., located at 5, 4th Street, Dr. Subbarayan Nagar, Kodambakkam, Chennai for training Program for the Departments of IT/CSE as part of industry – institute collaboration
- A memorandum of understanding was signed on 07-07-14 between St. Peter’s Institute of Higher Education and Research and Confirmatics Business Pvt. Ltd., located at 88, 2nd Street, Anna Nager, Chennai for training Program for the Departments of IT/CSE as part of industry – institute collaboration
- A memorandum of Understanding was signed on 6-2-2014 between St.Peter’s University and CMC ACADEMY Pvt. Ltd, Annanagar, training Program for the Department of CSE/IT/ECE/MCA as part of industry – institute collaboration.
- A memorandum of Understanding was signed on 21-5-2013 between St.Peter’s University and INFLIBNET Centre, Gandhinagar for enhancing R&D activities in institute collaboration.
Vision & Mission
VISION OF THE DEPARTMENT
- To Enhance and extend educational services effectively to the satisfaction of all concerned.
MISSION OF THE DEPARTMENT
- To provide an environment to support and encourage excellence in teaching-learning.
- To equip the students with conceptual, technical knowledge and competence required for the practice of their profession with moral and ethical values.
- Moulding the students acceptable to the business / industry world on par with National and International Standards.
Programme Outcomes (POs)
- PO1: Engineering knowledge: Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals, and an engineering specialization to the solution of complex engineering problems.
- PO2: Problem analysis: Identify, formulate, review research literature, and analyze complex engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural sciences, and engineering sciences.
- PO3: Design/development of solutions: Design solutions for complex engineering problems and design system components or processes that meet the specified needs with appropriate consideration for the public health and safety, and the cultural, societal, and environmental considerations.
- PO4: Conduct investigations of complex problems: Use research-based knowledge and research methods including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and synthesis of the information to provide valid conclusions.
- PO5: Modern tool usage: Create, select, and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools including prediction and modelling to complex engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations.
- PO6: The engineer and society: Apply reasoning informed by the contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice.
- PO7: Environment and sustainability: Understand the impact of the professional engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of, and need for sustainable development.
- PO8: Ethics: Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the engineering practice.
- PO9: Individual and team work: Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings.
- PO10: Communication: Communicate effectively on complex engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, such as, being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions.
- PO11: Project management and finance: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the engineering and management principles and apply these to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in multidisciplinary environments.
- PO12: Life-long learning: Recognize the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and life-long learning in the broadest context of technological change.
Programme Specific Outcomes (PSOs)
- PSO1: An ability to specify, analyze & design a usable computing system that efficiently utilizes system software and hardware to cover current user requirements in a socially and economically acceptable form.
- PSO2: An ability to state, design and implement a secure and reliable information communication system by using concepts of Computer Networks, Cryptography and Network Security and Cyber Forensics.
- PSO3: An ability to state, design and implement knowledge based discovery and machine based learning in computer system by using the various concepts of Soft Computing, Neural Networks, Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning.
- PSO4: An ability to analyse and design an efficient information management system which uses the concepts and tools of databases and deliver technological solutions for the end users using the concepts of Data Mining and Warehousing, Data Analytics, Web Technology and Cloud Computing.
- PSO5: An ability to effectively integrate IT-based solutions into the user environment in a global, economic, environmental, and societal context.
Programme Educational Objectives (PEOs)
- PEO 1: To impart exhaustive knowledge to the students in all the sub-domains of Information Technology and the fast evolving IT tools to:
- Take up key assignments in IT and associated industries.
- Undertake and excel in higher studies and Research & Development in IT related fields and Management.
- Become an Entrepreneur in IT related fields.
- PEO 2: To impart solid foundation in Computational Intelligence, Science and Interdisciplinary courses.
- PEO 3: To design and develop novel products and innovative solutions for real life problems in Information Technology field and related domains.
- PEO 4: To inculcate a conviction in the students to believe in self, impart professional and ethical attitude, nurture to be an effective team member, infuse leadership qualities, build proficiency in soft-skills, and the ability to relate Engineering with social issues.
- PEO 5: To provide a conducive and disciplined academic environment, quality of teaching with innovative and modern methods of pedagogy establishing the relevance of technical education as per the needs of the industry and society at large.