About The Department
Department of Electronics and Communication Engineering was established in the year 1993, with an intake of 60 students. The department has produced several university ranks including University first rank in the year 2004. The students intake of UG was increased to 120 in the year 2005. To promote higher education, a Post graduate Programme M.E (Applied Electronics) was started in the same year. In 2013 the Dept. has stared another PG degree Programme M.E., in the discipline of Communication Systems. The department also offers Research Programme.
Electronics and Communication Engineering (ECE) is a swiftly advancing field, with new ideas emerging every other second. From mobile phones to fiber optics and remote sensing, there are exciting avenues to explore and create. The ECE department at St.Peters University prepares students for careers in this constantly evolving discipline, pursue leadership, technical, and management positions in a variety of industries Students have obtained placements at leading companies. Some are pursuing their higher studies in prestigious institutions in India and abroad.The ECE Department holds national and international conferences that function like informal think tanks. Faculty and students benefit from guest lectures on the latest innovations in both established and emerging fields.
Campus interviews are conducted every year by leading software and hardware companies. The department has got well equipped Laboratories and Computer facilities along with high speed Internetwork.
B.E. – Electronics and Communication Engineering
The Department of Electronics and Communication Engineering is currently the best destination for the dream of the students with highly qualified faculty and the state of art laboratories. It is one of the established and largest departments in the institution. The department aims at creating quality engineers with sound technical knowledge and awareness of the latest advancements in existing and emerging technologies. In all courses the department has built an excellent reputation for its graduates in terms of placements. Our faculty brings state-of-the-art research, development, and design experience into the classroom, ensuring that our students and alumni are able to apply for registration as professional engineers in all part of global engineering and the scientific community. The faculty and students of ECE are continuously engaged in the relentless endeavor to improve upon past performance and to uplift the position among the league of engineering institutions. Seminars, Conferences, Project Expo, and symposia were organized by the department for initiating research in young minds. Students were encouraged by giving seed money for the best ideas do their project. The Electronics and communication Engineering has always enjoyed a respectable status among the major recruiters in India and the excellent performance of its students across the industry has enabled the department to maintain its strong brand image. Presently, the research students are working in the areas of Adhoc Network, Optical Network, Bio-Medical Signal Processing, Medical Image Processing, VLSI Architecture etc. The Department has more industrial collaborations with industries which provide opportunities for students to get good exposure in hardware design.
REGULATIONS AND SYLLABI UNDER CHOICE BASED CREDIT SYSTEM & OUTCOME BASED EDUCATION
(REGULATIONS – 2015) Effective from the Academic Year 2015-2016(REGULATIONS – 2018) Effective from the Academic Year 2018-2019
M.E. – Communication Systems
Communication is the fastest growing segment of the industry and has been experiencing exponential growth over the last decade. This programme is an advanced level course in the field of Communication Engineering offering a specialization in terms of technology and applications to fulfill the requirements of the industry. This programme makes the students out-rival in both hardware design and communication software design. It deals with an application of communication engineering principles based on a solid foundation in signal processing, baseband and band pass communication signal design, radiation systems, electromagnetic, wireless and optical media challenges for transmission and networking and high frequency processing circuits, to solve engineering problems and to address the technological challenges of the future communication needs.
REGULATIONS AND SYLLABI UNDER CHOICE BASED CREDIT SYSTEM & OUTCOME BASED EDUCATION
(REGULATIONS – 2013) Effective from the Academic Year 2013-2014
(REGULATIONS – 2018) Effective from the Academic Year 2018-2019
Ph.D. – Electronics and Communication Engineering
Our campus is witnessing an exponential growth in R&D activities. Apart from a large consultancy work undertaken by our Electronics and communication Engineering department, Academic research gains its momentum day by day. Nearly 30 research scholars are undergoing their Ph.D in various fields in Electronics and communication engineering. Young faculty members pursuing doctoral degree are offered a seed money to start their research and also stipend is given for full time Research scholars.
Papers have been published by our faculty members and research scholars in different refereed journals of international and national repute. Research papers have been presented in various conferences, seminars and symposia held at national and international levels. Our Department has signed MOUs with industries and institutions to promote collaborative research and consultancies.
Department of ECE has signed MOUs with the following companies:
- MOU has been signed with Chase Technologies on 12th September 2017 for the benefits of research programmes and Research Scholars with the collaboration of Research and Development Units
- MOU has been signed with Pantech Prolabs India Pvt . Ltd. Technologies on 14th July 2017 for the benefits of research programmes and Research Scholars with the collaboration of Research and Development Units.
- MOU has been signed with Vee Eee Technologies on 19th January 2017 for the benefits of research programmes with the collaboration of Research and Development Units.
- MOU has been signed with National Institute of wind Energy on 15th June 2015 for the benefits of research programmes and Research Scholars with the collaboration of Autonomous government R&D Institution under MNRE.
- MOU has been signed with Waveguide Technologies on 19th February 2015 for the benefits of research programmes and Research Scholars with the collaboration of Research and Development Units.
- MOU has been signed with Chase Technologies on 9th August 2014 for the benefits of research programmes and Research Scholars with the collaboration of Research and Development Units.
- MOU has been signed with Pantech Prolabs India Pvt . Ltd. Technologies on 10th April 2014 for the benefits of research programmes and Research Scholars with the collaboration of Research and Development Units
- MOU has been signed with CMC Academy Pvt. Ltd. on 6th February 2014 for the benefits of Training for students and Faculty.
MOU has been signed with Vee Eee Technologies on 16th December 2013 for the benefits of research programmes with the collaboration of Research and Development Units.
IE(I) Students Chapter
Inauguration of IE(I) Students Chapter
St.Peter's Institute of Higher Education and Research, Avadi, Chennai-54, has Inaugurated IE(I) students Chapter by Electronic and Communication Engineering on 2nd August in the University Campus. Chief Guest Dr. Ramesh, MIE Joint Secretary, Tiruvallur Local Centre, The Institution of Engineers(India). Dr. Francis C. Peter VC., Registrar and IE(I) Co-ordinator Dr.G.P.Ramesh, MIE motivate all the students to actively participate and organize events in the college for the benefits of students. Since it is a platform to interact with industry and Academic Research Scholar person it is vital part to have in our Organization. Enthusiastic participation by students and staff will make this chapter successful. And brief interaction by our Chief guest Dr. Ramesh, MIE about IE(I) and their benefits. Students of Secretary, Treasurer, and Event Manager etc.., of SPHIER have taken Oath. Read More...
|Lab Name||Available area (m2)|
|Circuits & Devices Lab||160|
|Microprocessor & Microcontroller Lab||160|
|RF & Microwave Lab||160|
|DSP & VLSI Lab||120|
|Linear Integrated Circuits Lab||120|
|Digital Electronics Lab||120|
- XILINX Spartan XC3S250 FPGA
- Universal Programmer for DSP
- DSP 5013 Development System
- TMS320C6713 DSP Processor Kit
- Model sim software, Xilinx software
- ARM-7 Development Board with RTOS
- Wireless modules using Zigbee
- Research Laboratory-II
- Antenna measurement System Unit
- Oscillator set
- Spectrum Analyzer
- AM & FM Signal generator
- 300 Text Books
- 15 Lab Manuals
- 70 Student Project Reports
- 25 Question Banks
- 56 Student Project CD’s
- 35 Project Kits
- NPTEL Lectures CD’s
Along with the Central library of the University, the ECE department has got separate library, where various different subject books of ECE are placed. The Dept Faculties, Staff and Students can make use of this library.
Vision & Mission
Vision To become a centre of excellence and to produce high quality, self motivated, creative and ethical engineers and technologists, contributing effectively to Society and Science education. Mission
- To impart high quality Electronics and communication Engineering education and professional ethics to students
- To adopt the best pedagogical methods in order to maximize knowledge transfer
- To have adequate mechanisms to enhance understanding of implementation of theoretical concepts in practical Scenarios
- To carry out high quality of research leading to the creation of knowledge and of intellectual property
- To provide the best facility, infrastructure and environment to its students researchers and faculty members ,creating an ambience conducive for excellence in technical education and Research
PROGRAMME EDUCATIONAL OBJECTIVES:
PEO1: To enable graduates to pursue research, or have a successful career in academia or industries associated with Electronics and Communication Engineering, or as entrepreneurs.
PEO2: To provide students with strong foundational concepts and also advanced techniques and tools in order to enable them to build solutions or systems of varying complexity.
PEO3: To prepare students to critically analyze existing literature in an area of specialization and ethically develop innovative and research oriented methodologies to solve the problems identified.
Engineering Graduates will be able to:
- Engineering knowledge: Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals, and an engineering specialization to the solution of complex engineering problems.
- Problem analysis: Identify, formulate, review research literature, and analyze complex engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural sciences, and engineering sciences.
- Design/development of solutions: Design solutions for complex engineering problems and design system components or processes that meet the specified needs with appropriate consideration for the public health and safety, and the cultural, societal, and environmental considerations.
- Conduct investigations of complex problems: Use research-based knowledge and research methods including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and synthesis of the information to provide valid conclusions.
- Modern tool usage: Create, select, and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools including prediction and modeling to complex engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations.
- The engineer and society: Apply reasoning informed by the contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice.
- Environment and sustainability: Understand the impact of the professional engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of, and need for sustainable development.
- Ethics: Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the engineering practice.
- Individual and team work: Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings.
- Communication: Communicate effectively on complex engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, such as, being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions.
- Project management and finance: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the engineering and management principles and apply these to one‘s own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in multidisciplinary environments.
- Life-long learning: Recognize the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and life-long learning in the broadest context of technological change.
PROGRAM SPECIFIC OBJECTIVES (PSOs)
- To analyze, design and develop solutions by applying foundational concepts of electronics and communication engineering.
- To apply design principles and best practices for developing quality products for scientific and business applications.
- To adapt to emerging information and communication technologies (ICT) to innovate ideas and solutions to existing/novel problems.