About The Department
Our department offers B.E. (Civil Engg.) and M.E.(Structural Engg). The department possesses highly qualified faculties with different specializations in Civil Engineering. Apart from teaching, faculty members are involved in extensive research and development. Thrust areas of research include geopolymer concrete, concrete with waste materials, composite materials and traffic noise pollution monitoring. Structural Engineering, Strength of Materials, Survey, Fluid Mechanics and Machinery, Soil Mechanics, and Environmental Engineering laboratories are available.
B.E. – Civil Engineering
This programme is designed to enable the student, to enter the profession—for example, in industry, on a construction project, in a consulting engineering office, through a government agency or to begin Post Graduate study, or both. The programme provides a broad traditional civil engineering background that focuses on basic theory and design. Technical electives can be selected to obtain a strong technical base in a particular field of civil engineering or other engineering disciplines. Civil engineers provide a major contribution to society. They design and construct the infrastructures we use every day, from the buildings we live, roadways we travel and the power stations that provide our homes with electricity. In civil engineering, students learn the design of foundations and superstructures as encountered in bridges and highways, industrial and residential buildings, airport runways, dams, urban transportation systems, and transit terminals.
REGULATIONS AND SYLLABI UNDER CHOICE BASED CREDIT SYSTEM(REGULATIONS – 2018) Effective from the Academic Year 2018 - 2019
M.E. – Structural Engineering
Structural Engineering is particularly concerned with the design of load-bearing structures. It is largely the implementation of mechanics to the design of the large structures that are fundamental to basic living, such as buildings, bridges, walls, dams, and tunnels. Structural engineers need to design structures so that the structures do not collapse or behave in undesirable ways while serving their useful functions. The efficient use of funds and materials to achieve these structural goals is also a major concern. Structural engineers work closely with architects, construction managers, and transportation engineers, to name only a few. The postgraduate program in structural engineering is designed to provide students with an understanding of the basic sciences and engineering applied to structural systems.
Ph.D. – Civil Engineering
Doctor of Philosophy programme (Ph.D) in Civil Engineering provides an opportunity for students to pursue a program of research in a specialized area and to develop a dissertation that embodies the results of original research and gives evidence of high scholarship. In Ph.D research scholars may choose any of the specializations.
Testing of Beams for Doctoral Research Work in Loading Frame
Measurement of Crackwidth in Beams after Failure by Crack Microscope
MoU with M/S Kayathry Consultants on 23.10.2018
MoU with TRIL INFOPARK LIMITED on 20.02.2019
Inauguration of PMKVY Course on “Construction laboratory and field technician”
Workshop on “Microsoft Project “ in association with i-3 Design Technologies, on 07.08.18
Department of Civil Engineering has MOU’s with the following concerns
- CSIR- Structural Engineering Research Centre (CSIR-SERC)
- Hitech Concrete Solutions Chennai PVT. LTD.,
- International Institute of Project Management (IIPM)
Department facilities include
- Structural Engineering Lab with 50T loading frame
- Environmental Engineering Lab
- Concrete & Highway Engineering Lab
- Soil Mechanics Lab
- Strength of Materials Lab
- Fluid Mechanics Lab
- CAD Lab with internet connections and softwares
- Survey Lab with Total Station and GPS
- Good department library with standard text books, proceedings of conferences and workshops
- Civil Engineering Models and Charts
Vision & Mission
To mould our students as eminent civil engineers with excellent knowledge and skills leading to attitudinal transformation for national development.
To develop technically competent technocrats by imparting sound theoretical and practical knowledge through innovative teaching and learning process to meet the global challenges.
PROGRAMME EDUCATIONAL OBJECTIVES
The major objectives of B.E. programme in Civil Engineering are to prepare students:
- to work in academic, sresearch and development organizations
- for employment in construction industries
- to be part of an organization or as Entrepreneurs and continue to learn to harness evolving technologies.
- to become professional engineers with ethical and social responsibility
Graduates of Civil Engineering will be
- able to apply knowledge of mathematics, science, and engineering
- able to design and conduct experiments, as well as to analyze and interpret data
- able to design solutions for complex civil nngineering problems and design system components or processes that meet the specified needs with appropriate consideration for the public health and safety, and the cultural, societal, and environmental considerations.
- able to apply modern tools in the areas of FEM, CAD and GIS
- able to function in multi-disciplinary teams
- a creative leader able to effect change
- a confident individual with good communication skill